PEOPLE in Staffordshire are being urged to have their say on plans to overhaul youth services in the county.
A consultation, starting this week and running until Wednesday February 26, will give local people a chance to say what they think about Staffordshire county council’s plans to move away from a traditional model of youth.
Mark Sutton, Staffordshire County Council Cabinet Support Member for Public Health and Community Safety on, said: “We want to give every young person in Staffordshire the opportunity to realise their potential, do well at school and find a good job.
“In a rapidly changing world we also need to adapt and change the way we operate so that we provide the support and activities that young people want and need today and into the future,” he said.
“This proposal would see support directed at those young people who need it most.”
The youth service covers young people from 13-19 - or 25 for those with learning difficulties or disabilities – cost £8.73 million to provide last year and was used by four out of five of the 73, 315 young people in Staffordshire.
Mr Sutton said he believed the new proposals would help young people help themselves make the right choices in life, providing better information and advice in an approach targeting those who need it the most, as well as delivering better value for money for local people.
“Over the next seven weeks we want to hear from local people and we will be listening to what they tell us, before making a final decision on the proposal at Cabinet in March.”
The consultation documents on Achieving Excellence for Young People will be available from 9.00am on Wednesday 8th January at www.staffordshire.gov.uk/consultation .
A paper version can be obtained by calling 0300 111 8000.