A DEVELOPMENT company which chopped down more than 100 trees will be prosecuted by Stafford Borough Council.
Bosses at the authority took the decision to take criminal action against Bovis Homes at a meeting last Thursday.
Legal papers are being drawn up to take the company to court.
The company caused outrage last year when it felled the trees, some of which were protected by preservation orders.
Angry residents raised a 400-name petition which was given to the council and Bovis arranged public consultation events to try to calm the situation.
The company felled the trees a year ago as part of the development of the former St George’s Hospital site. Some of the trees were also in the conservation area.
Company bosses were hauled before council officers in May last year to be interviewed under caution.
They were read their rights under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and a report was prepared for the authority’s planning committee.
The council also issued a stop notice preventing any more work at the site.
The news of the prosecution comes two weeks after campaigner Mary Jennings said more trees had been cut down.
A spokesman for the council said: “The council is to take court action following the felling of trees close to the A34 and the former St George’s Hospital site. The necessary papers will be prepared and lodged at Stafford Magistrates’ Court soon.” A spokesman for Bovis said: “Bovis Homes has yet to receive official notification from Stafford Borough Council regarding this matter and will not be making any further comment at this time.”