Login Register

Father found dead in Stone garage

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: August 01, 2014


Comments (0)

A FATHER found dead in his Stone garage had been suffering from severe back pain, an inquest heard.

Christophe Perdreau had taken time off work from his IT job to tackle the problem, Cannock Coroner's Court heard yesterday.

But on May 21 he was found by his wife Vanessa in the garage of their family home in Kingston Drive. His cause of death was given as hanging.

Mr Perdreau, a father of two, was just 46 when he died. The French national had moved to the UK when he was 18.

Related content

Mrs Perdreau described him as a "quiet, genuine, loving, kind, caring, generous man", but also a pessimist.

He had started complaining of back pain earlier this year, and in April went for physiotherapy at a private firm in Stafford, the inquest heard. He also saw doctors at Stone's Mansion House surgery and a chiropractor, and ordered books on back pain and considered herbal remedies.

On May 15 he saw an osteopath, and he was described as relaxed following the session.
But his condition continued to cause him problems and he attended A&E on May 19, where he was advised to take painkillers. He was awaiting an appointment for an MRI scan at Stafford Hospital at the time of his death, the inquest heard.

On the night of May 20 he told his wife he would sleep downstairs because of his back. She was concerned about his state of mind and on the morning of May 21 she found him hanged in the garage.

Paramedics were called to the scene but nothing could be done to save him and he was pronounced dead at 7.43am.

A farewell note was found in the house, the inquest heard, and Mr Perdreau had transferred some cash into his wife's bank account earlier that morning.

PC Brian Griffith, who attended the scene, commended Mrs Perdreau's handling of the situation at the inquest.

He said: "She had got young children on the property and her first concerns were that she looked after the children.

"She didn't want them to see police going through the house, bearing in mind she had got up unaware of any of the events during the night."

South Staffordshire Coroner Andrew Haigh recorded a verdict of suicide while suffering low mood.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters