Login Register
 °

Firm ‘had to take a risk to pull down chimney’

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: January 09, 2013

'MONSTROUS' ... The chimney erected without permission by Jesse Brough Metals International

'MONSTROUS' ... The chimney erected without permission by Jesse Brough Metals International

Comments (4)

A HIXON company has been branded “monstrous” after it demolished and replaced a chimney without planning permission.

Jesse Brough Metals International (JBMI) tore the stack down and replaced it with one 10 feet higher – even though they had been warned by Stafford Bor- ough Council that they might not get planning permission.

 

A council planning officer visited the Church Lane site the day the old chimney was demolished.

The company applied to replace the old 72ft-high chimney at its refinery in Octo- ber, thinking it would be dealt with by Christmas – one of only two annual plant shutdowns.

The firm said the application was delayed when Hixon Parish Council asked for an extension to the consultation period.

Managing director Miles Brough said they decided to complete the work anyway after an engineer expressed health and safety concerns about the existing chimney.

The borough council’s development manager, Jon Holmes, said he had told Mr Brough the work would be carried out at his own risk as there was no guarantee planning permission would be granted.

Resident Tim Fielding, of Sycamore Drive, said: “They ( JBMI) are monstrous. They shouldn’t start working on the site when they haven’t got planning permis-sion. I would like to see their environ-

mental permit suspended immediately.” When the planning application was submitted a couple “strongly objected”, saying the new 82ft chimney would tower above the surrounding buildings, including the primary school.

Mr Brough said: “The risk we took was a measured one. When we decided to go ahead at the end of December we had had no objections whatsoever.

"We did this with the full knowledge of the planning department. We are not doing anything wrong," he said. "The risk is that if we are not given planning permission we could, potentially, have to take it down. It was a risk we were prepared to take.”

A spokesman for the borough council said: “A decision on the planning application is due next week.

"If the application is refused then we would have to consider enforcement action.” 

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

4 comments

  • Staf Newsletter  |  January 10 2013, 10:22PM

    Mr Brough said: “The risk we took was a measured one. When we decided to go ahead at the end of December we had had no objections whatsoever. I think Mr Brough has been inhaling his own smoke and forgets the 400 signature petition against his site by the villagers.

  • Staf Newsletter  |  January 10 2013, 9:21PM

    Can we trust the words of someone who has polluted Hixon for 30 years, I don't think so?

  • Staf Newsletter  |  January 10 2013, 2:06PM

    There were no objections because no one knew it was going up!Rules are rules as Cllr Collier said, they are not in place to be ignored.

  • Staf Newsletter  |  January 10 2013, 10:05AM

    they should be fined and made take it down like anyone else would be....

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES