Login Register

Historic Gnosall house badly damaged in fire

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: June 09, 2014

  • Historic Gnosall house badly damaged in fire

  • Historic Gnosall house badly damaged in fire

  • Historic Gnosall house badly damaged in fire

  • Historic Gnosall house badly damaged in fire

Comments (0)

AN historic Gnosall house was badly damage by a fire that gutted half the roof space on Saturday evening.

Four fire crews from Gnosall, Eccleshall, Stafford and Stone, plus the aerial platform from Stafford, were called out to the blaze, caused by an electrical fault in the loft.

Firefighters had to strip roof tiles from the 19th century three-storey converted farmhouse in Audmore Road to get at the source of the blaze.

A Staffordshire fire service spokeswoman said their efforts saved half of the roof, but the interior of the building was badly damaged.

Related content

The alarm was raised at 6.41pm and it took fire crews an hour to bring the blaze under control.

They remained at the scene until 11.30am on Sunday, damping down and checking the roof for any remaining hot spots.

Nearby resident Nicholas Morgan, of Brookhouse Way - who took these photographs of the fire - said he understood the householders were away for the day helping their son move home, and returned home to find their house on fire.

“I went out to my car and saw all the neighbours standing staring at something - then I saw the smoke” said Mr Morgan, a keen amateur photographer.

“Someone had managed to get hold of the householders on the phone and told them to get back to Gnosall.

“It must have been a dreadful shock to them, but at least no-one was hurt.”

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES