Ferguson rubbishes Benitez claim
Sir Alex Ferguson has branded allegations that he refused to shake Rafael Benitez's hand ahead of Manchester United's FA Cup tie with Chelsea last week as "absolute nonsense".
Benitez made his complaints immediately after the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford last Sunday. The Chelsea interim manager claimed he had been waiting for Ferguson, who then completely ignored him.
However, whilst there is little love lost between the pair, the United manager insists he would never ignore a handshake. Ferguson said: "It is absolute nonsense."
He continued: "Why wouldn't I shake hands? Have you ever seen me not shake hands with anyone?
"I never saw him. I was signing autographs at the front and there was an Indian lad who always wants to shake hands before a game because he says it brings me luck.
"If he (Benitez) wanted to shake my hand he could have stood in front of me.
"I don't know why he has said that. It is nonsense."
- Hospital campaigners hope Stafford songbird can soar up charts with protest song
- Chase MP Aidan Burley hands hundreds of pledges supporting Cannock Hospital to administrators
- Bishop of Stafford urges administrators to make Mid Staffs 'trail-blazer for NHS'
- Stafford pub closed for five years to pull pints once more
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Stafford campaigner Julie Bailey says Sir David Nicholson 'should go now not next year'