Fired cop killed wife and daughter
A former police inspector strangled his wife and six-year-old daughter before stabbing himself with a kitchen knife a week after he was dismissed from his force for misconduct, an inquest has heard.
Toby Day, 37, punched wife Samantha, 38, in the face before strangling her and stabbing her in the chest and stomach at their home in Melton Mowbray last December.
He then strangled and stabbed their six-year-old daughter Genevieve before turning the knife on himself at the semi-detached house, the inquest in Loughborough heard.
Recording a verdict of unlawful killing for Samantha and Genevieve and one of dying at his own hands for Mr Day, the coroner for Rutland and North Leicestershire Trevor Kirkman said: "No one here or in the wider community could fail to have been touched by these tragic incidents."
- Hospital campaigners hope Stafford songbird can soar up charts with protest song
- Chase MP Aidan Burley hands hundreds of pledges supporting Cannock Hospital to administrators
- Bishop of Stafford urges administrators to make Mid Staffs 'trail-blazer for NHS'
- Stafford pub closed for five years to pull pints once more
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Stafford campaigner Julie Bailey says Sir David Nicholson 'should go now not next year'