Magpies agree Yanga-Mbiwa fee
Newcastle have agreed a fee with Montpellier for defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Press Association Sport understands the Magpies have thrashed out a deal with the French club and are now attempting to finalise terms with the player.
Central defender Yanga-Mbiwa, 23, would add strength to a rearguard which has struggled to keep sides at bay so far this season, and with speculation that skipper Fabricio Coloccini could leave Tyneside this month because of personal problems, his arrival could hardly come at a better time.
He would become the Magpies' second transfer window signing after fellow France international Mathieu Debuchy, although Alan Pardew will take nothing for granted after believing he had landed striker Loic Remy last week before the player eventually opted to join QPR instead.
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Volunteers sought for Stone clean up operation