Messi breaks Muller's record
Lionel Messi carved another piece of history in his remarkable career by equalling and then breaking Gerd Muller's record of 85 goals in a calendar year.
The Barcelona star grabbed the opener at Real Betis with a trademark dribble and finish to move level with the German striker, who achieved the feat in 1972. Messi was level with Muller, who scored his goals for West Germany and Bayern Munich, for just nine minutes before he moved into the outright lead.
His second goal of the evening, and 86th in a remarkable 2012, came with another left-footed shot past Betis goalkeeper Adrian after he had been teed up by Andres Iniesta.
Argentina international Messi has scored 56 of the 86 in the Primera Division. Barca went into the game in Seville at the top of the table.
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Residents will be glad to see the back of Nicholson, says Stone MP