Watson through to second round
Heather Watson made an encouraging start to the HP Open in Osaka with a 6-4 6-4 first-round win over Slovenia's Polona Hercog.
The British number two, at 71st in the world 10 places higher in the rankings than Hercog, carved out 10 break points, taking three, as she thrived on her opponent's serve.
The 20-year-old took the opening set thanks to a single break of serve and broke twice in the second to close out victory in one hour 29 minutes.
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Foul play as woman fined for not cleaning up after pet