Login Register

Leek, Staffordshire, family's narrow escape in kitchen fire

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: March 18, 2014

By Alison Thomas

Comments (0)

A Staffordshire family of five had a narrow escape from a kitchen fire - on the same day that a similar fire claimed the life of a Staffordshire police officer.

The family were at home in Leek on Sunday morning when a chicken being roasted in the oven set fire to the oven.

The husband and wife were out in the garden at the time, but came back into the kitchen to find it filled with smoke and flames coming from the cooker.

The wife ran upstairs to wake sleeping family members while the husband tackled the fire himself using buckets of water.

Related content

Fire and rescue crews from Leek attended the house, removed all damaged equipment and checked the area with a thermal imaging camera to make sure the fire was fully extinguished.

Station Manager Carl Mason said: "The family had an extremely lucky escape. If it wasn't for the gentleman coming back into the property and noticing the fire, this could have been far more serious.

"We do not encourage people to tackle fires themselves. In the event of a fire you should get out of the property, call 999 and request the fire service.

"The house was not fitted with the correct amount of smoke alarms and the downstairs smoke alarm was not in the right place which delayed it from activating at the earliest opportunity."

"Firefighters carried out a home fire risk check at the property and installed smoke alarms.

"The occupants had suffered from smoke inhalation; therefore paramedics were called out to do precautionary checks."

On the same day, PC David Beech died at his Tunstall home after a kitchen fire caused by a pan on the hob igniting.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES