Login Register

Network Rail says sorry for roadwork problems near Eccleshall

By Kerry.Ashdown  |  Posted: July 08, 2014

roadworks sign

1482090-QD_180314-RoadWorks-02

Comments (0)

WEEKEND working is one of the options being considered to complete roadworks near Eccleshall which are running several weeks late.

Network Rail representatives have apologised to residents of Chebsey and Norton Bridge for the delays and “embarrassing” errors in kerb laying.

Work to widen the junction of the A5013 Eccleshall Road and Chebsey Lane is being carried out to accommodate construction traffic for the Norton Bridge railway improvements.

But Network Rail has said four extra weeks are needed to complete the work, which now has an estimated completion date of July 25.

Related content

At last night’s Chebsey Parish Council meeting Nigel Barber and Matt Clark from Network Rail told councillors and residents that a number of unexpected issues had caused the hold up. These include an existing water main clashing with the new drainage design, which could not be confirmed until traffic using the lane was transferred onto the new widened section.

Inconsistencies in road surfacing on the old and new sections only became apparent once work had started, they added.

Mr Barber said: “We got part of this wrong and we apologise. We are looking at weekend working and other options. Sundays are for contingency and we are working every fourth Saturday.

“We have night shifts planned for resurfacing work.”

Mr Clark said: “There have been issues with the kerb level being set out wrong, which were human error. They are embarrassing issues but they haven’t taken the programme back.”

Eccleshall county councillor Frank Chapman told the meeting he had received a number of complaints about the roadworks, including delays caused by temporary traffic lights.

“I have been bearing the brunt of complaints; people see things happening and assume it is the county council digging the roads. I’ve had one farmer complaining of getting old while waiting,” he said.

Mr Barber said he had been in contact with people who have raised concerns. Households directly affected by the planned evening work would be informed beforehand, he added, and the next public information event would be held on September 9, from 4pm to 8pm, at St Luke’s Church in Norton Bridge.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES