PENSIONERS are being urged to check electric blankets given to them by the fire service after a potentially deadly fault was discovered.
Fire chiefs said they thought 10 blankets, recalled by manufacturers Morphy Richards over a fault which could potentially see them overheat and catch fire, were given to residents in Staffordshire.
Head of Risk Reduction, Glynn Luznyj said: “The people who would have received a free blanket from us will be living in Staffordshire and over the age of 60 so if you have any relatives, friends or neighbours who you know have received a free electric blanket from us please ask them to check the model number or do this for them if you can.”
The affected models are the Morphy Richards 75310 and 75312 although Mr Luznyj said he didn’t think any of the latter model had been handed out and only 10 of the former had.
“Even if you don’t think anything is wrong with your blanket, if it is either of the affected models please contact Morphy Richards and stop using the item immediately.”
He said he was keen to work with the company to ensure the blankets were returned and investigate how the fault came about.
Morphy Richards can be contacted on 01709 572570 Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org.