AN ALCOHOLIC who cut herself off from her family and frequently refused medical help was found dead at her Little Hay- wood home, an inquest heard.
An inquest in Cannock heard last week that mum-of-three Mrs Mercer, a former sales representative, drank a bottle of wine a day, was a heavy smoker and often refused to eat or take medication.
Previously she had been treated for anxiety and depression and had missed a catalogue of medical appointments in recent years.
Her brother Jason Nickells told the inquest his sister would not go anywhere where she could not smoke and had a habit of deleting people from her life who tried to help.
Dr Stephen Harris, consultant histopathologist at Stafford Hospital, said there was evidence of cirrhosis of the liver and although there was no alcohol detected toxicology revealed a high level of beta-hydroxybutyrate, which is often seen in people who drink a lot.
He gave the cause of death as alcoholic ketoacidosis due to liver disease.
Staffordshire South deputy coroner Margaret Jones recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.