Man dies after powerboat race crash
A powerboat racer has died after his craft flipped over during a race, organisers said.
Mike Lovell, from Southampton, suffered multiple injuries in the incident in Weymouth, Dorset, on Sunday. He was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital but race organiser P1 SuperStock confirmed he died overnight.
His navigator, Dan Whapples, also from Southampton, remains in a serious but stable condition.
The pair were competing in the national powerboat racing championship in Weymouth Bay when the crash happened.
Portland Coastguard said Mr Lovell and Mr Whapples had to be rescued from the water, near Weymouth town beach and the harbour.
A spokesman for P1 SuperStock said: "Following a powerboat incident in Weymouth yesterday, Mike Lovell and Dan Whapples both sustained serious injuries and were airlifted to Southampton General Hospital.
"Overnight Mike Lovell sadly succumbed to his injuries. Dan Whapples is in a serious but stable condition.
"A further statement will be issued when more details are available. Our thoughts are with the whole powerboat community and particularly with Mike and Dan's family and friends."
Weymouth - the Olympic sailing venue - was hosting the first visit of the P1 SuperStock UK Championship to the Dorset coastal resort for the national powerboat series finale.
A report has been made to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch.
- Royal visit 'charade' as work at Staffordshire Place is covered up
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy in talks with university bosses over Stafford site future
- Failed judicial review over controversial Hixon planning application bid to cost thousands
- Drink in the atmosphere ... Tickets on sale for Wildlife Trust food and beer festival
- Jewish businesswoman Sam Caldicott slams anti-HS2 group for 'disgusting' video
- Stafford Hospital A&E consultant calls for 'an end to mud-slinging'
- Shoppers mourn loss of town centre "flagship" store
- Stafford MP Jeremy Lefroy calls for an end to 'hospital bitterness' after incidents mar peaceful protest
- Police aim to deliver a car crushing blow
- Volunteers sought for Stone clean up operation