THE heartbroken Penkridge widow of an ex-miner is urging his former colleagues to come forward amid fears more could have been done to protect him from deadly coal dust.
Ron Ball, from Market Street, died aged 80 in August 2011, the day after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a type of lung cancer, often caused by exposure to asbestos.
Mr Ball had worked for the National Coal Board at Cannock's Littleton Pit from 1951 to 1960, where he had been a cage winder.
He then worked at Cramic Aircraft Limited in Tipton in the Black Country.
His wife Joan, 82, has now instructed industrial disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell in her battle for answers to the death of her husband.
And she is now appealing for any of his ex-colleagues to come forward with information to help with the investigations.
Mrs Ball said: "As mesothelioma was not diagnosed until the day before Ron died, he didn't have any morphine or strong pain relief and at the end he was suffering from severe chest pain and really struggling to breathe.
"It is such a horrible illness and it shocked me how quickly Ron declined
"I now hope as many of his former work-mates as possible will help the team at Irwin Mitchell investigate if more could potentially have been done to protect him."
Anyone with information should contact Iain Shoolbred on 0121 214 5446.