Login Register

Pensioner's stove horror

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: February 19, 2013

Comments (1)

A MILFORD pensioner was hospitalised over the weekend with burns to his face, head and body after a wood burner exploded in his face.

Paramedics were called to the incident at 5.41pm on Sunday after the man in his 60s attempted to light the burner with a bottle of bio-ethanol fuel and was caught in the resulting blast.

Station Manager, Al Bateman said: “The man is very lucky not to be more seriously hurt, he is however still in hospital receiving specialist treatment for burns.

“We’re very concerned that the family were advised to use bio-ethanol fuel to start the wood burner by the supplier.”

He said Bio-ethanol should only ever be used with bio-ethanol burners and even then extra care needed to be taken at all times because of the extremely dangerous nature of the substance.

“Last year a Staffordshire woman lost her life in a fire caused by bio-ethanol fuel,” said Mr Bateman. “Bio-ethanol fuel or any other accelerant should never be used to light a wood burner or any other fire, it is highly-flammable and should not come into contact with hands, hair or clothing.

“We would advise anyone having a wood burner installed to check that the person carrying this procedure out is qualified to do so,” he said. “Any reputable fitter will be more than happy to provide evidence of their qualifications and talk you through the correct fitting procedure before a wood burner is fitted.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Hackspeare  |  February 20 2013, 10:49AM

    Those wood burners are great for heating but you don't hear about the dangers very often.

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR