Login Register

Rugeley man died of E Coli following biopsy

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: October 22, 2013

Comments (0)

A RUGELEY man contracted E Coli and died following surgery an inquest heard.

 Paul Holloway, went to see his doctor in May, 2011, with concerns about his prostate.

 The inquest heard the 63-year-old was in good health and didn’t go to the doctor much.

 His gp Dr Elizabeth Clark referred him to Stafford Hospital who continued to review him.

 The hearing was told that by August last year his blood tests markers had risen by more than 50 per cent of the original level.

 Mr Holloway, of Rugeley, was sent for a biopsy at Stafford Hospital in September and was given antibiotics beforehand.

 He was discharged but began to feel unwell soon after and went to see his doctor again the next day.

 The hearing was told he had signs of infection and the gp prescribed anti biotics.

 His condition worsened that evening and he went to the emergency department at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire where he was admitted.

 He underwent a laparoscopy to see if there was any damage to the abdomen but none was found.

 The hearing was told his condition worsened and he died there on October 16 last year.

 Pathologist Dr Daniel Gey Van Pittius, who conducted a post mortem, said there was a clear link with the prostate biopsy.

 “The cause of the E Coli septicaemia was probably the prostate biopsy. The sepsis led to respiratory complications.”

 A sample of the bug found in Mr Holloway’s bloodstream was sent for analysis and was found to be unique to him rather than one found in the hospital.

 Dr Jeorge (CORR) Orendi, micro biologist at UHNS, said: “As to where the E Coli came from, the time frame of having a procedure and being re-admitted to a different hospital with severe sepsis was so short – two days – on the balance of probabilities it’s likely to be linked to the procedure he received in the other hospital.”

 Ronald James, consultant urology surgeon at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We do try to avoid taking a biopsy if we can. It’s not a very pleasant and there are complications associated with it.

 “That E Coli must have come from him. That must have been introduced into his blood stream by him at the time of his biopsy. It’s a serious issue which is why people are trying more and more not to biopsy glands.”

 South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said: “The risk of bugs is a known risk, that’s why (preventative) anti biotics must be given. That’s the likely sequence of infection in this case. This bug has this endo toxic effect and it’s led to widespread effects on his organs and to death.”

 The cause of death was given as adult respiratory distress syndrome; E coli septicaemia and prostate biopsy.

 Mr Haigh recorded a conclusion of complication of medical treatment.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES