A FORMER miner died after having a stroke, an inquest heard.
Christopher Perry had worked at Brereton Colliery and Lea Hall Colliery, spending 34 years down the pit. He had also been a smoker but gave up 25 years ago.
In his final years he suffered from lung disease and needed oxygen. He frequently had to call out paramedics and couldn’t walk very far.
The 86-year-old, of Oak Tree Road, Brereton, Rugeley, he was admitted to Stafford Hospital on May 8 after having a stroke. He was treated but he died on July 2.
A post mortem revealed he had pneumonia in both lungs, emphysema and Ecoli.
“There’s no doubt the main cause of death is the stroke,” said Andrew Haigh, south Staffordshire coroner.
“The difficulty in this case is the emphysema. It’s a condition that’s likely to have resulted from a combination of smoking and the occupational exposure to coal dust. “
Mr Haigh gave the cause of death as pneumonia, Ecoli, stroke, hyper tension, emphysema and heart disease and recorded a conclusion of natural causes.