Login Register

Smoke alarm saves Armitage woman in flat blaze

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: February 18, 2014

By Gail Atkinson

Smoke alarm saves Armitage woman in flat blaze
Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS say a smoke alarm saved an elderly Armitage woman who became trapped in her flat when a blaze broke out overnight.

The woman was alerted to the fire at 1am on Saturday morning (15) when her smoke alarm went off.

She called the fire service but was unable to escape from the ground floor flat at Targate Court, Armitage, because she couldn’t find her keys.

On the advice of a member of the control team she went to her bedroom, shut the door and wedged clothes against it to prevent smoke getting in. She also opened the window.

Related content

Two crews from Lichfield and one from Rugeley attended the incident and forced entry to the flat.

The woman was given oxygen and taken to hospital after being rescued.

Station manager Dermot Hogan, who carried out the fire investigation, said: “This was an extremely lucky escape and if it were not for the fact that the lady had a working smoke alarm and was given fire survival advice by the control room operator, the outcome could have been very different.

“This incident proves without a shadow of a doubt that it is absolutely vital to have smoke detectors fitted and to ensure that they are active by checking them on a regular basis – they could end up saving your life. It is also very important to know exactly where your keys are when you go to bed so that you can make a quick escape if an emergency occurs.”

To book a free Home Fire Risk Check call 0800 0241 999, text 07528 983101 or visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/bookyourhfrc.asp.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR