Login Register

Stafford Hospital: New evidence for John Moore Robinson's second inquest

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: July 02, 2014

Frank Robinson

Frank Robinson

Comments (0)

THE FAMILY of John Moore Robinson who died less than 24 hours after being discharged from Stafford Hospital’s emergency department say new evidence has come to light. The 20-year-old suffered a ruptured spleen while cycling on Cannock Chase in 2006 but doctors who examined him failed to spot it and sent him home to Leicestershire with painkillers. He bled to death the next day. An inquest held by south Staffordshire Coroner Andrew Haigh ended with a narrative verdict and John’s father Frank Robinson campaigned for years for a second inquest which started in April, eight years after the telecom engineer’s death. The hearing had to be adjourned because of missing information and Leicester coroner Catherine Mason criticised the hospital for not getting the information she had asked for. Before it was postponed the inquest heard from two duty nurses at Stafford Hospital and a West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedic. Two A&E doctors had also been scheduled to give evidence. Ms Mason said there had been two other nurses on duty and another doctor. She asked Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust to supply a full log of the emergency staff on duty on April 1, 2006 to they could be traced and statements taken. Mr Robinson said: “I think there are going to be two or three more new witnesses. The West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedic is being recalled. We asked for him to be recalled because some new evidence has come to light. I understand another couple of nurses may be called.” He added he had asked for the statement of one of his son’s friends to be included in the evidence. “There were three of them with him. They all made statements at the time which went to the coroner and he wouldn’t accept them as evidence. We have already heard from one of them at the second inquest and now we have requested the second one be accepted as evidence.” Mr Robinson said a third statement was made directly to the Mr Haigh which the family didn’t know about. “We weren’t made aware of it, it was never made available to us in 2006, but we know (about it) now. It was quite an interesting statement. We did ask for the second lad’s statement to be read out but (Mr Haigh) turned us down but we didn’t know he had a written statement for the third lad. “It’s shocking it wasn’t made available to anybody.” A pre inquest hearing was set to take place on Wednesday with the full hearing expected to resume at the end of September.

Related content

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES