Login Register

Stafford Hospital: inquest adjourned because of missing information

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: April 29, 2014

Stafford Hospital: inquest adjourned because of missing information
Comments (0)

THE FAMILY of a cyclist who died less than a day after being discharged from Stafford Hospital’s emergency department say they were shell shocked when a second inquest was adjourned today.

Frank Robinson campaigned for years to get the second hearing into his son John Moore-Robinson’s death in 2006 because he wasn’t happy with the first one held by Staffordshire south coroner Andrew Haigh, who returned a narrative verdict.

It started on Monday but was dramatically halted today because Stafford Hospital failed to provide necessary information.

Mr Moore-Robinson was seen at the hospital but was sent home with painkillers because doctors failed to spot he had ruptured his spleen in a cycling accident on Cannock Chase.

Related content

Mr Robinson said: “We are hanging in mid-air again. We thought we were getting to the end of the road but now we don’t know when the end of the road is. We were shell shocked, devastated. The whole family was there. I don’t blame the coroner. The failings are once again at the door of Mid Staffordshire.”

Two duty nurses at Stafford Hospital gave evidence yesterday and two A and E doctors were set to take the stand today.

Leicester coroner Catherine Mason said: “It has become clear from the evidence yesterday that there were two other nurses on duty and another doctor had signed an ECG recording.”

She asked the trust to supply a full log of the A and E staff on duty on April 1, 2006 so they could be traced and statements taken.

She said despite her asking the trust to look and look again at what evidence needed to be brought, it had not been done.

“I want full disclosure,” she said.

Earlier Mr Moore Robinson’s friend Andrew Turner told the hearing he had been told the 20-year-old had bruised his ribs in the accident.

A pre inquest hearing has been set for July 2 but no date has yet been set for the resumption of the inquest.

Trust chief executive Maggie Oldham said: “We are so very sorry that John's family and friends have to endure a further wait for a conclusion to the inquest.

“I have assured Mr and Mrs Robinson that there was no deliberate attempt to conceal any information or documents either from them or from the Coroner.

“We believed we had complied fully in providing all of the information requested.

“We will continue to cooperate in every way possible with the Coroner and will supply all further information required.”

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES