Login Register

Stafford Hospital: inquest hears from John Moore-Robinson's friend

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: April 29, 2014

Comments (0)

A SECOND inquest has begun into the death of a cyclist who died less than 24 hours after being discharged from Stafford Hospital.

Cyclist Andrew Turner told the hearing in Leicester he had been told his friend John Moore-Robinson had bruised his ribs.

A post mortem revealed Mr Moore-robinson had died of internal bleeding and a ruptured spleen.

Mr Turner said: “I was shocked at the medical care that John did not get [at Stafford].

Related content

“Being a normal member of the public you expect professionals to carry out the job - you have trust in them.

“John would not want to put up his hand and say, ‘excuse me there is something wrong’.

“He would want to get on with it.”

Mr Turner said Mr Moore-Robinson had been in Stafford Hospital’s A&E department covered in vomit and suffering a lot of pain after the accident in Cannock Chase, on April 1, 2006.

He said: “Looking back now it’s shocking he was discharged, he was still the same.”

This is the second inquest into the death of Mr Moore-Robinson and 12 witnesses will be called – 10 more than at the previous hearing. Mr Turner was not called at the first hearing.

The inquest will also call Ivan Phair, an A&E consultant who compiled a report into Mr Moore-Robinson’s death.

The then head of legal services at the hospital Kate Levy asked him to remove two paragraphs and the report was never sent to Mr Haigh.

Letters seen by the Newsletter reveal Mr Phair at first resisted requests by Miss Levy to omit the crucial section.

Miss Levy was sacked but was later awarded more than £100,000 at an employment tribunal after bosses conceded she had been “unfairly” and “wrongfully” dismissed.

The second inquest was given the go-ahead by the High Court after a seven year campaign by Mr Moore-Robinson’s parents, Frank and Janet Robinson who were at the hearing. They say that staff at Stafford Hospital misdiagnosed their son and missed his ruptured spleen.

South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh returned a narrative verdict at the first inquest in 2007.

The inquest continues.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters