A Stafford family were lucky to escape uninjured after a chip pan caught fire in their home, which had no working smoke alarms.
Fire and rescue crews from Stafford and Rising Brook say they were "surprised and relieved" there were no casualties after they were called to the incident on West Way, Highfields, on Saturday afternoon just after 12.30pm.
The female householder had placed a pan of oil on the hob with the intention of cooking chips but then left the kitchen. The oil in the pan overheated and caught fire.
Luckily the woman’s brother noticed the smoke coming from the kitchen and saw the pan catch fire. He tried to tackle the fire himself with a damp tea towel but as he threw the tea towel over the pan he missed
There were three people in the house when the fire happened. They all made their way out before the arrival of the fire crews.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and located the fire using a thermal imaging camera. They tackled the fire using one hose reel jet.
Prevent manager Carmel Warren said: “This family really did have a lucky escape - using a chip pan, having no working smoke alarms and then trying to tackle the fire really is a recipe for disaster.
"We no longer recommend people try to extinguish the fire themselves., in the event of a fire our advice is to ‘get out, stay out and call 999’ - people have got hurt when attempting to put a fires out themselves. We were surprised and relieved that there were no casualties.”
“There is absolutely no reason for people to not have working smoke alarms as we fit them for free as part of the Home Fire Risk Check service we offer. To book a visit call 0800 0241 999.”
Firefighters left the scene at around 2.30pm.