Login Register

Stafford house blaze started by pan catching fire

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: August 21, 2014

Stafford house blaze started by pan catching fire

Stafford house blaze started by pan catching fire

Comments (0)

SOME 20 firefighters battled a kitchen blaze which caused extensive damage to a detached house in Stafford this lunchtime.

Crews from Stafford, Rugeley and Penkridge tackled the fire at Baswich Lane, near the Weeping Cross junction,just after 12.20pm today.

The blaze started when food that had been left cooking on a lit hob ignited. The mum doing the cooking had left the room for a moment and was alerted to the situation when the smoke alarms went off.

She immediately shut the door into the kitchen and led her family to safety before dialling 999 from a mobile phone outside of the property.

Related content

Crews left the scene at approximately 3.30pm. The cause has been classed as accidental.

Station Manager Paul Richins, who led the incident, said: “This was a serious fire which caused extensive damage to the entire downstairs area of the house. It serves as a stark reminder that you should never leave cooking unattended, even for a few minutes, as the consequences can be devastating.

“Luckily, in this case the smoke alarms were in good working order and the occupants were quickly made aware of the situation. The lady did exactly the right thing by leaving the property as quickly as possible, closing the doors on her way out to limit the spread of the fire, and calling for help.”

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES