Firefighters are urging people to be careful when cooking in the wake of yet another chip pan fire in the Cannock Chase area.
The incident occurred at Chetwynd Park in Rawnsley at around 8.30pm on Easter Sunday, April 20.
A man had left a chip pan on a lit gas hob before returning to join his family in the living room.
They were alerted to the fire when it set off smoke detectors. Three of the residents fled the property when they heard the alarm sounding.
However the man tried to tackle the blaze using a damp towel before rushing outside with the pan. He was treated by paramedics at the scene for a burn to his hand.
One crew from Cannock and one from Chase Terrace wearing two sets of breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. They left the incident at 9.42pm.
Station Manager Paul Cullen, who was in charge of the incident, said: “This was a lucky escape for the family and it could have had very different consequences if the property had not been fitted with working smoke detectors which alerted them to the fire. The incident serves to demonstrate how vital it is to have these safety devices fitted, to test them regularly and to ensure they are in good working order.
“The male occupant put himself in a dangerous situation when he tried to extinguish the blaze. No-one should do this. When you become aware of a fire, immediately leave the building, call 999 and leave the experts to deal with the situation.”
Anyone concerned about fire safety is being urged to book a free Home Fire Risk Check.
Crew members or technicians will visit people in their homes, check to see if their smoke alarms are working and, if they are not, they will fit a new one.
They will also talk residents through possible escape routes and check for potential hazards. To book call Freephone 0800 0241 999, text 07528 983101 or visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/bookyourhfrc.asp