STAFFORDSHIRE firefighters are yet again urging people to be careful when cooking following a chip pan fire in Biddulph.
Two fire crews attended the incident at Gardeners Close around 2.30pm yesterday, April 23.
A chip pan had been left on a lit camping stove. A 72-year-old man led his 71-year-old wife to safety outside the property after being alerted to the fire when the smoke detectors activated.
However, the man returned inside the house and attempted to tackle the blaze. He was treated by paramedics at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital.
Firefighters wearing four sets of breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire. They left the scene at 6.05pm.
Station Manager Ed Case, who was in charge of the incident, said: "This incident could have been much worse if the property had not been fitted with working smoke alarms which were able to alert the couple to the fire.
"They had a lucky escape but the male occupant put himself in significant danger by returning to the kitchen and attempting to extinguish the blaze. I would urge people never to take that course of action. Once you have left the premises, call the fire service immediately and do not go back inside.
"The blaze is also a reminder of how vital it is to test your smoke alarms regularly, ensuring that they are in good working order and capable of activating in the case of an emergency. Taking just a few seconds every week to check your detectors could save your life."
Anyone concerned about fire safety is being urged to book a free Home Fire Risk Check. Crew members or technicians will visit people in their homes, check to see if their smoke alarms are working and, if they are not, they will fit a new one.
They will also talk residents through possible escape routes and check for potential hazards. To book call Freephone 0800 0241 999, text 07528 983101 or visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/bookyourhfrc.asp