Login Register

Staffordshire firefighters issue cooking blaze warning after woman's lucky escape

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: June 02, 2014

By Alison Thomas

Comments (0)

Staffordshire firefighters have issued a warning about the risks of leaving cooking unattended after rescuing a woman from a flat fire caused by a pan left on a hob.

Two crews from Cannock and Chase Terrace were called to the ground floor flat in Oak Lane, Burntwood, on Sunday morning after an upstairs neighbour smelled smoke.

They found the occupant of the flat, a 23-year-old woman, asleep in bed and unaware of the fire, caused by a burning saucepan. The woman was led to safety, and given oxygen therapy at the scene by an ambulance crew.

Station manager Graham Mills said the incident illustrated the dangers of leaving pans unattended. He said the woman had come home in the early hours after a night out, and had heated some food, but had then gone to bed, leaving the cooker on.

Related content

He said crews would be out and about in the area this week offering free fire safety checks and fitting smoke alarms.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES