Login Register
 °

Staffordshire firefighters warn of candles risk after three rabbits die in carport blaze

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: August 05, 2014

Staffordshire firefighters warn of candles risk

Staffordshire firefighters warn of candles risk

Comments (0)

Staffordshire firefighters are warning of the risks from lighted candles after a tea light candle left to burn caused a serious fire in a carport of a property in Cannock.

Three pet rabbits died in the blaze, after the tea light was left burning on top of a rabbit hutch in the car port. Fire and rescue crews from Cannock and Bloxwich were called out to the fire on Rumer Hill in Cannock following an emergency call yesterday morning.

The carport, which contained some 40 rabbit hutches, was well alight when crews arrived. Firefighters forced entry to the car port and tackled the blaze using one hose reel jet and prevented the fire from spreading to the house.

Station Manager Graham Mills who attended the incident said: “The fire started due to a tea light that was placed on top of a wooden rabbit hutch, causing it to burn through the roof of the hutch and catch fire. We strongly advise people not to leave the vicinity when using tea lights and candles.

Related content

“They should always be placed on a heat-resistant surface such as a ceramic plate and in a correct candle holder with the candle fitted in firmly.”

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES