Login Register

Staffordshire firefighters warn of tumble dryer blaze risk

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: April 29, 2014

By Alison Thomas

Comments (0)

STAFFORDSHIRE firefighters are warning people to take care of their tumble dryers after a fire caused significant damage to a Kidsgrove property yesterday, April 28.

A tumble dryer in a shed next to a house on Vine Bank overheated and caught fire, spreading to the house, causing severe damage to the doors and windows, and smoke damage to the interior.

Station Manager Brian Griffiths said: "Due to the severe fire damage it was difficult to identify if it was a build-up of fluff in the filters, or papers and magazines that were stored on top of the dryer that ignited first.

"Either way it was due to lack of ventilation, and poor maintenance of the appliance.

Related content

"We urge members of the public to ensure that they properly maintain their tumble dryers by regularly cleaning the filters and making sure that the vents are clear. All appliances should always be correctly installed."

Fire crews from Kidsgrove and Sandyford were called out to the incident and tackled the fire using one hose reel jet.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES