Login Register

Staffordshire fire service issues exploding e-cigarette charger warning

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: March 31, 2014

By Alison Thomas

Comments (0)

Staffordshire firefighters are warning people not to leave e-cigarettes on charge for long periods of time following a spate of recent incidents across the county where the devices have exploded.

One crew from Cheadle was called to a property in Conway Grove at 7pm on Saturday, March 29.

The residents had left their e-cigarette on charge for approximately nine hours causing it to overheat and part of it to shoot out of the plug.

A similar incident happened on Thursday, March 27 at Trent Business Park, Power Station Road in Lichfield.

Related content

A device had been left on charge for a number of hours and exploded. Firefighters from Lichfield attended the incident shortly after midday.

A further case occurred at a property on Rumer Hill Road, Cannock, during the early hours of March 7.

In each case, the e-cigarettes caused some items in the room to smoulder but the fires were out when the crew arrived.

Technical Fire Safety and Fire Investigation Lead Paul Shaw said: “E-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and, with more people using the devices, we are seeing a rise in the number of incidents related to them.

“The people involved in all of these cases were very lucky that the fires did not take hold – the situation could have been a lot worse. I would urge people never to leave their e-cigarette on charge while they are away from the house or asleep and to always follow the manufacturers’ guidance when charging the device.”

* Have you had problems with e-cigarette chargers? Let us know.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES