THE PARENTS of a father who was found dead at his Stone home described his overdose as “completely out of character”.
Darren Brough had been a hardworking and happy man, who had once saved a woman from attempted suicide, his parents Brian and Janice Brough told a Cannock inquest on Thursday.
The 45-year-old had previously had an alcohol problem, but had overcome it, the inquest was told, and had no previous self-harm issues.
But when he failed to turn up for work at logistics firm TDG for two days, and did not visit his daughter in hospital, his colleagues and family became concerned.
Police obtained a spare key to his Radford Street home from his landlady, and found him lying dead on his sofa bed on the morning of December 14 2013.
The flat was tidy, the inquest heard, but the blinds were drawn. There were empty packets of tablets next to Mr Brough.
Toxicology tests revealed a fatal level of codeine in his body. His alcohol level was two and a half times over the legal driving limit.
His father told the inquest: “He has had a few problems in his life, around his health, relationships and alcohol. He would lose jobs but would always find work again.
“He was a hard worker, his manager told us he had to send him home.
“His daughter, who is 11, had been in hospital and said: ‘Grandad, my dad hasn’t been to see me, I’m worried’. That’s what started the ball rolling.
“He was doing well so we thought – this came as a complete shock to us. It was completely out of character.
“Two years earlier he had rescued a lady from attempted suicide, which he was thanked for. He helped everybody.
“Even now we are still getting messages. Hundreds turned up at the funeral.”
Mr Brough’s cause of death was given as codeine toxicity. South Staffordshire Coroner Andrew Haigh recorded a verdict of self-administered overdose of medication.