Login Register
 °

V Festival campers warned to stay safe from deadly gas

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: August 12, 2014

V Festival crowd

V Festival crowd

Comments (0)

REVELLERS heading to V Festival are being urged to ensure a potentially fatal gas does not kill their fun.

Tens of thousands of music lovers will be travelling to Weston Park this weekend and many will be spending their nights under canvas. But popular camping items such as barbecues, gas cookers and gas heaters and recreational shisha pipes all produce carbon monoxide (CO), a deadly gas that cannot be seen, smelt or tasted.

A spokesman for CO Be Alarmed, a national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of the gas, said: “CO causes dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and a loss of consciousness. It can cause permanent brain damage and in some cases can be fatal.

“If you are going to any festivals this summer, take a portable CO alarm with you and make sure you use your fuel burning appliances safely in the open air.

Related content

“When these items are used incorrectly in a tent, a caravan or in an enclosed space it can lead to a build-up of the gas, which could potentially be fatal for those around.

“Last year, there were a number of people suffering from CO poisoning while camping. This was largely due to gas cookers not working properly or campers bringing their barbecues inside their tents for warmth.

“New research has shown that 71 per cent of people don’t realise that barbecues are a source of CO so if you see friends using them inappropriately, make sure to let them know the dangers. “

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES