Login Register

The Week at Marston Rd - vs Wolves Casuals and Blyth Spartans

By Staf Newsletter  |  Posted: November 08, 2012

Comments (0)

Rangers set up derby tie against the reds


STAFFORD Rangers progressed through to a local derby against Stafford Town with a deserved Walsall Senior Cup victory at Brinsford Lane on Tuesday night.

Rangers made three changes from the side defeated by Blyth Spartans with Lee Downes, Michael Carr and Ryan Brown rested and Christian Dacres, Sean Kinsella and Jon Sheldon starting.

Casuals, of the West Midlands Premier League, were hosting Rangers for the first time and were to prove worthy opponents.

The first half was a scrappy affair with chances at a premium.

Sheldon forced a fine save from keeper Todd Henderson and Ryan Dicker should have done better with a header midway through the half.

A piece of brilliance from Fabrice Kasiama lit up the game when he planted a left-foot shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box, three minutes before the interval.

Craig Edwards had a chance to equalise but he overran the ball with only Danny Read to beat.

Casuals were back on terms a minute into the second half when former Rangers midfielder Dean Clarke raced clear and curled a fine shot past Read.

Rangers response was immediate and they were back in front on 51 minutes.

A jinking run from the impressive Sheldon finished with a shot which fell to Danny Quinn in the six-yard box and the Rangers leading scorer made no mistake.

Henderson, who also played cricket for Milford this summer, kept the Casuals in the game with a string of saves to thwart the trio of Kasiama, Liam Walshe and Quinn.

Rangers should have increased their lead on 65 minutes.

Sheldon raced clear on the left and his cross was met perfectly by Quinn. The first effort was well saved but the rebound was blasted over the bar.

Michael Carr sealed the victory with a fine shot from outside the area with three minutes to go.

Casuals - Henderson, C Franco, Evans (Aldridge 66), Butler, Lloyd, Clapp, Adams, Love (A Franco 68), Edwards (Bellingham 57), Clarke, Pilgrim. Subs not used: Williams, Cooke Rangers: Read, Turner (Brown 84), Davies, Walshe, Dicker, Dacres, Heler, Kinsella (Carr 66), Quinn (Curtis 88), Kasiama, Sheldon. Subs not used: Alcock Referee: A Sarginson.

Attendance: 97 (est).

Ten-man Boro miss out after long trek


TEN-man Stafford Rangers slipped to a single goal defeat after the long journey north to Blyth.

It was Rangers’ third successive away league defeat, leaving them 14th in the Evo Stik premier table.

Rangers had to make one change from the side that performed impressively against Chorley with Danny Read replacing the unavailable keeper Adam Alcock.

Blyth were looking to bounce back after an eight goal trouncing in midweek and Ryan McGorrigan tested Read inside three minutes but the returning stopper was up to the task.

Rangers wasted a glorious chance in the sixth minute when Liam Walshe headed a Jimmy Turner free kick well wide. Fabrice Kasiama was just wide with an effort before Blyth opened the scoring on 11 minutes. Rob Dale sent Lee Mason clear on the right and his cross into the six-yard box was turned home by McGorrigan.

Ryan Brown forced a save at full stretch from Conor Grant as Rangers continued to have the majority of the play. Michael Carr sent Oliver Davies clear just before the break and the youngster cut inside, hitting the crossbar with a right foot effort Walshe came to Rangers rescue after the resumption with a last ditch tackle to thwart McGorrigan, before Rangers were reduced to 10 men.

On 56 minutes, Heler misjudged a through ball from Craig Farrell. Dale took advantage, raced into the box and was brought down by Heler. The referee pointed to the spot and brandished a red card to Heler. However, Farrell missed with his spot kick. With Rangers a man light and pushing for an equaliser, it was clear there would be opportunities for Blyth. Turner put his body on the line to block another effort from McGorrigan.

Rangers continued to strive for an equaliser and with two minutes left, Ryan Dicker blazed over the bar.

Boro skipper Lee Downes, struggling with a heel injury, then rattled the Blyth woodwork with a 25 yard volley.

Rangers team - Danny Read, Jimmy Turner, Ryan Brown, Liam Walshe, Ryan Dicker, Michael Carr (Sean Kinsella 68), Peter Heler, Lee Downes, Danny Quinn (Darren Alexander 68), Fabrice Kasiama, Oliver Davies (Jon Sheldon 77). Subs not used: Christian Dacres, Levi Reid.

Sent-off: Heler (Rangers); Booked, Utterson, Buchanan (Blyth), Walshe (Stafford).

Referee: Warren Broadbent; Att: 317.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters