Login Register

A fine result for Stafford flytippers

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: February 16, 2014

WHAT A WASTE . . . The dumped rubbish at Ash Flats Lane

Comments (1)

THREE people who dumped rubbish in a Stafford lane are counting the cost of their action.

Bags of household waste were abandoned in Ash Flats Lane, Moss Pit. But Stafford Borough Council enforcement officers traced the rubbish back to three town centre residents – two women and a man, all in their 20s - who were each handed £75 fixed penalty notices.

Councillor Frank Finlay, cabinet member for environment and health, said: “Fly tipping is a blight on our area and those who appreciate the environment they live in do not want inconsiderate people treating the borough as a giant dustbin.

“I hope this sends out a clear message that if you do discard your rubbish illegally then you will be fined or prosecuted.”

In 2013 there were around 350 reports of flytipping in Stafford Borough. The cost to local tax payers for clearing up incidents over the last five years has been estimated to be £140,000.

Pictures of illegally dumped rubbish in Stafford Borough are posted online at www.staffordbc.gov.uk/grimewatch and residents are asked for help to catch offenders.

Flytipping incidents in Stafford Borough can be reported to the council by contacting info@staffordbc.gov.uk or 01785 619401. Anyone with information about offences can report it in confidence to grimewatch@staffordbc.gov.uk or 01785 619401.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • unigrind  |  February 23 2014, 11:29AM

    Just reporting that fines have been handed out is not enough. Anybody found guilty should be named and shamed. Fines alone do not seem to be a deterrent as many areas on the outskirts of the town are being used as a dumping ground especially on the edges of the chase. On Saturday 22nd Feb a considerable amount of asbestos sheeting had been dumped in the area of Brocton Coppice, not only unsightly but also hazardous. It has been reported to SBC and no doubt they will respond but will probably have to use a specialist company to deal with it at considerable cost to us all.