Login Register

Last gap shot sinks Brocton's cup hopes

By Staffordshire Newsletter  |  Posted: September 03, 2014

Brocton's Dave Ablewhite

Comments (0)

FA Cup Preliminary Round replay

Brocton 0 Sutton Coldfield Town 1 a.e.t.

BROCTON were seconds away from an FA Cup penalty shootout in their replay against Sutton Coldfield Town.

Following their exploits on Saturday Brocton looked full of confidence and worked hard for each other all over the pitch. This was the ultimate in team performances.

Related content

Sam Bell got in an early cross and Matt Hardiman was in the box to try to head it in, beaten by centre back Jordan Tunnicliffe, but close enough to promise more to come. A Dan Lomas advance soon after was supported by Carl Morris and once again the chance was beaten away.

Sutton looked most threatening from deep, hitting balls over the top and into the channels for their willing centre forward Ashley Robinson to chase. Brocton defended the situations well and never looked in danger of conceding.

Brocton’s best chances of the first half came either side of the half hour mark. First Dave Berks received the ball in the area and controlled it before side stepping to get in a shot. Only to see his effort deflected. Then Paul McMahon picked up the ball from that same move and his shot was blocked and then blocked again as McMahon latched on to the rebound.

There was one final chance for Brocton just as the half closed when Matt Hardiman and Jamie Evans combined to give Evans the chance to put in a deep cross. Bell collected it and hit a powerful low cross which both attackers and defenders alike could only watch as it zipped across the goal.

Early in the second period, the industrious Dave Ablewhite took the ball wide right and hooked in a deep cross come shot which keeper Lee Evans had to reach to tip over the bar. The corner was quickly cleared and as Sutton piled forward, Craig Milligan took a shot from distance. Calum Barrett had to dive to his right to punch it away.

Just beyond the hour Evans brought the ball out of defence and found Berks, who crossed for Bell. Bell struck well at the far post but a deflection slowed the ball and keeper Evans collected comfortably. The game swung quickly from end to end and time was called just after Barrett had tipped over a long range effort from Robinson.

Extra time saw no let up and Robinson looked at last to have broken through the excellent Brocton back line with only the goal in front of him, but Matt Skinner covered superbly, taking the ball from Robinson’s toes and clearing his lines.

Gary Fife, on for McMahon, got in a header at the far post, challenging keeper Evans and then combined with Bell to work a good opening, but Berks had gone a fraction too soon to collect Fife’s pass.

With extra time nearly over and penalties looming a hooked cross come shot from the touch line was nudged by Tom Turton and finally Barrett was beaten for the cruellest of one nil losses.

Brocton: Calum Barrett, Dave Ablewhite, Jamie Evans, Ed Booth, Matt Skinner,

Matt Hardiman, Sam Bell, Carl Morris, Paul McMahon, Dave Berks, Dan Lomas.

Used Substitutes: Gary Fife, Charlie Jones, Josh Wilson.

Read more from Staff Newsletter

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters